Homer CCSD 33C
Goodings Grove Luther J. Schilling William E. Young William J. Butler
Hadley Middle Homer Jr. High
Contact: Charla Brautigam, Communications/Public Relations Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org | 708-226-7628
For Immediate Release:
June 20, 2016
Arts In Action Summer Workshops underway at Young School
Students proudly show the picture frames they made June 20 with local artist Hanna Radostits.
Youngsters are having a great time working with local artists this week as they create paper action figures, personalized picture frames and glazed mosaics in the style of author/artist Eric Carle.
It’s all part of Homer School District 33C’s Arts in Action Summer Workshops at Young School.
“Arts in Action has enriched our children’s lives for over 15 years,” said program coordinator Cyn O’Brien, “giving thousands of students an appreciation and hands-on experience working with local artists from our surrounding communities.”
Students had an opportunity to sign up for 13 workshops, including jewelry making with Lynn Rozycki, painting with Mona Parry and photography with Bill and Nancy Uznanski.
Local artist Dan Dougherty led the workshop on paper action figures while artist Hanna Radostits worked with children on picture frames and three-dimensional mini skyscrapers.
Students share the paper action figures they made June 20 with local artist Dan Dougherty.
Remaining workshops include:
- Paper Marbling and Sea Creatures, 9-10 a.m. June 21 (Ages 5-7) Local artist Mona Parry will show children how to create water effects with paper marbling techniques. $15
- String Me Along Introduction to Jewelry Making, 10:30-11:30 a.m. June 21 (Ages 5-8) Local artist Lynn Rozycki will help students develop their fine motor skills and learn about patterns and color as they string colorful beads and charms onto a bracelet. $15
- Seal Life Painting, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 21 (Ages 8-14) Local artist Mona Parry will share basic painting techniques as students create an acrylic painting on canvas. $15
- Keepsake Crystal Jewelry, 12:30-2:30 p.m. June 21 (Ages 9-14) Local artist Lynn Rozycki will create bracelets and matching earrings. $20
- Paste Papers Mosaics Part II, 1-3 p.m. June 21 (Ages 7-14) Local Artist Dee Everson will lead Part II of Paste Papers Mosaics from June 20. $15
- Country Landscape in Optical Perspective, 9-10:30 a.m. June 22 (Ages 7-14) Local artist Maggie Capettini Poplawski will show students easy tricks to give the illusion of depth in their art. $15
- Puttin on the Ritz Photo Studio, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 22 (Ages 6-14) Local artists Bill and Nancy Uznanski will guide students as they paint a huge cityscape backdrop and then pose like actors as they take smart, sassy and fun pictures of each other with their own cameras. $15
- Chicago Skyline at Sunset, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 22 (Ages 9-14) Local artist Maggie Capettini Poplawski shows students how to paint like professionals using canvas and easels. $15
- A Picture is Worth a 1000 Words, 1:30-2:30 p.m. June 22 (Ages 6-14) Local artists Bill and Nancy Uznanski will share how photographers can create mood and mystery through pictures. $15
For more information, contact O’Brien at email@example.com or 708-301-2031.